The Amos Bro’s Handle Company was one of the dominant industries of the area. Located a quarter mile northeast of the St. Louis and San Francisco Depot, this factory was a major employer in the area.
The large complex consisted of numerous buildings. The main factory spanned 4,100 feet and manufactured plow handles, cultivators, wheels and other wooden work for carriages. Wood was brought in from local sawmills and stored under a large shed located north of the main factory. Once the finished product was completed, it was then moved to the warehouse to the south of the factory, where it was held until it could be delivered to market.
Over the next 30 years, the Amos Bro’s Handle Company would continue to be a very successful business. By June 1911, the company had a capital stock of 20,000. By 1920, the company owners had become moderately wealthy, and decided to move on. On May 31, 1920, the Amos Handle Company sold its plant to the Turner, Day & Woolbright Handle Company of Louisville, Kentucky.